Centova cast accessibility for visually impaired users

Read 4575 times
Hi all,

My name's Callum, I'm 17 and have been interested in radio for a while now. I've recently been looking into a way of starting an internet radio station which me and some friends can run just as a hobby, and came across the plans at shoutca.st. I've set up a free account for now just to try it out.

My issue is, that I'm completely blind and the only way I can use my Mac is by using VoiceOver, Apple's screen reading software that comes pre-installed on all their devices. This means I'm controlling the computer via keyboard shortcuts, rather than the mouse or trackpad. VO does have some commands for dragging and dropping, and these do work for dragging and dropping music into playlists, but it is very inconsistent and I have to drag and drop each song into the playlist individually. Considering I have over 5000 tracks in my library, I really don't fancy doing this.

Does anyone know of an alternative way that might work for adding songs to playlists, or is dragging and dropping them in the only way? I should also mention that the 2 other people who will be running this with me are also blind, so we're all in the same situation.

I know this is a bit of an awkward one as most of you probably won't know how screen readers work or anything, but still any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks very much for any help.
Hi Callum,

It's possible to add tracks to your playlist by using the command line. You'll need to use something like:

/usr/local/centovacast/bin/ccmanage playlist USERNAME --playlistname=InstertPlaylistName --action=add --trackpath=DirectoryName

Make sure to replace USERNAME with the station's actual username.

You can also read more about our commandline management utility here: http://www.centova.com/doc/cast/internals/commandline_tools/management_utility/invocation
Hi,

Thanks for this response. How could I access the command line itself to enter these commands? Centova isn't installed on my own server, the server is managed by http://www.shoutca.st
Sorry, but you need SSH access to the server in order to use the command line, it it's highly unlikely that your host would provide that. So this is only useful if you are administrating your own Centova Cast server.