Centova Technologies Inc.

Products and Services

Centova Cast
Customer Support
Centova Technologies

Centova Technologies Forum

Author Topic: Shoutcast over HTTPS  (Read 1382 times)

isaacl

Shoutcast over HTTPS
« on: October 31, 2016, 02:04:46 pm »
Is there any way to get Shoutcast to run over HTTPS, using some sort of proxy?
Will the built in Centova proxy work for this?
Thanks.

DrO

• Expert Witness
    • Winamp Community Update Pack
Re: Shoutcast over HTTPS
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 08:14:58 pm »
It should be possible to run the DNAS behind something like an nginx proxy or equivalent to get it acting like it's coming over HTTPS. but I cannot remember if there were any obvious issues with doing this from those who I've had tell me that's what they were doing (is only possibly something to do with admin access that might go a bit funky depending on what is done to the headers passed through the proxy). Is a shame the DNAS doesn't just do it natively *shrugs*

-dro

isaacl

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 01:40:13 pm »
I got it working by using stunnel on the server itself to relay the Shoutcast instance over a HTTPS port.

Used this guide, though I may have had to change a few things: https://www.interserver.net/tips/kb/using-stunnel-to-add-ssl-to-shoutcast-or-any-service-that-does-not-have-ssl/

Just was wondering if the built in proxy did something like that as well, instead of needing to use stunnel.

The only annoying part with using stunnel is that any connections going through there show up in the admin panel as coming from the server itself, and not the actual originating IP, which I guess makes sense, just is annoying.

Wish there was a better way of doing it...

ElBigoteMaximo

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 06:17:14 am »
Thanks for sharing this, guys. I know the thread has been dead a long time, but I found it and it helped me solve the same problem. For future generations, I shared this as an AWS image. To use it:

- create a free Amazon Web Services account
- create an instance (I used free tier) of ami-947151f1
- open ports 80 and 443 on your security group
- use the certbot certonly command described here (https://certbot.eff.org/#ubuntutzesty-other)  to get a free SSL certificate from letscertify
- edit /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf to point to your new certificates and the feed you want to proxy (directions in the config file)
- reboot or restart stunnel

thanks to the original authors of this thread!