How to Go Live & Mountpoints

Read 14163 times
Could you please briefly describe how to go from auto dj to live? I spend some time trying to but was not able to, most likely you all are or will soon be working on some PDF instructions but I was hoping you could kinda give some tips and quick directions, the source.config file has

;;;; DJ SUPPORT:
; dj listen port
djport=8020
djport2=8022
djcipher=*********************8
; idle time until auto-dump
autodumpsourcetime=30
; record dj broadcasts here
;djbroadcasts=c:\sc_trans\recorded\
;djcapture=
;djfilepattern=

;djlogin_0=
;djpassword_0=
;djpriority_0=1   

I see most people use WiaAmp to connect, I use Sam but my version does not have support for SHOUTcast 2, however I think that the way it works through different ports for auto dj and live would mean I can still use my version of Sam. I found a few resources on Google but SHOUTcast 2 is so new none really helped.

And with the mount points, I see - as a server admin we can now set the amount of mount points each user has, or set them to unlimited. Could you please also kind of tell me how that works, I assume a client could in fact stream mp3 and aac+ format, and even multiple bit rates for each, back several years ago the only way was to set up a encoder, not many stream hosts provided this service, I guess now these are kinda built into v2.

Thanks for any help you can give, I'm sure many others will have this question in the next few weeks as well.
Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 07:04:54 am by My Auto DJ
My Auto DJ
Orlando, FL USA
Quality SHOUTcast Hosting http://myautodj.com
SHOUTcast Widgets http://shoutcastwidgets.com
Could you please briefly describe how to go from auto dj to live?
You just point your source client to the sc_trans2 instance's IP address using the 'djport' (or 'djport2') port (explained below).  When sc_trans2 accepts the DJ connection, it will automatically crossfade over to the live stream.  When the DJ disconnects, it will crossfade back to the autoDJ.

Your username/password for the live encoder should be that of one of the DJ accounts you created in Centova Cast.  Make sure you set the priority for the DJ account so that it's higher than the autoDJ, otherwise it won't switch over automatically.  (I don't know for sure -- it's not documented by Nullsoft -- but I assume the priority for non-DJ logins like the autoDJ is 1, so you would want your DJs to have a priority greater than 1.)

I see most people use WiaAmp to connect, I use Sam but my version does not have support for SHOUTcast 2, however I think that the way it works through different ports for auto dj and live would mean I can still use my version of Sam.
Yup, my understanding (bearing in mind that I'm not a Nullsoft staffer :) ) is that it allows connections from both v1 and v2 source clients.  So if you're using a source client that's designed for ShoutCast v1 you connect to 'djport'... if you're using one that's designed for ShoutCast v2 you connect to 'djport2'.

And with the mount points, I see - as a server admin we can now set the amount of mount points each user has, or set them to unlimited. Could you please also kind of tell me how that works
If there's something in particular about this feature that I can clarify let me know.. otherwise... the limit on the number of mount points specifies, as you might expect, the number of mount points the client can create. ;)

I assume a client could in fact stream mp3 and aac+ format, and even multiple bit rates for each
Yes, ShoutCast v2 supports multiple mount points now, just like IceCast has done for years, so they can use any combination of codecs supported by the ShoutCast (or IceCast) server.

back several years ago the only way was to set up a encoder, not many stream hosts provided this service, I guess now these are kinda built into v2.
No, you still need an encoder for each mount point.  Mount points just let a single server instance serve multiple, independent streams... they don't provide any functionality beyond that.  So you could create mount points called /rock and /pop, and put a totally different audio stream on each.  Or you could create, say, /low and /high and put a low-bandwidth version of your stream on one, and high-bandwidth on the other.  But regardless of how you set it up, each mount point still needs its own encoder.

If you're using the autoDJ, then the autoDJ is the encoder (just as it was for single-mountpoint ShoutCast v1 installations).  If you're not using the autoDJ, you'd have to have a separate encoder hosted elsewhere (SAM Broadcaster or whatever) for each mount point.  The reason there's an option to limit the number of mount points is because if the client has autoDJ privileges and decides to use the autoDJ for multiple mount points, each autoDJ-based mount point is going to require the CPU resources that were typically required for an entire station in ShoutCast v1.  So a stream with 2 mount points, both autoDJ-based, will require the same resources as two ShoutCast v1 autoDJ-based streams.
You just point your source client to the sc_trans2 instance's IP address using the 'djport' (or 'djport2') port (explained below).
seeing someone talk about that has just given me an idea especially as there was some confusion on how it is meant to work. the best way to configure things would be to have really just one port e.g. djport being specified and that generating djport (v2) and djport+1 (v1) listening ports so on the DJ client you just enter the same port and everything works as expected (seeing as a v1 source port is always the specified port + 1).

i've just rolled that change into the internal sc_trans build so doing djport=8500 now allows me to connect the Source DSP in either v1 or v2 mode without having to change any of the port values (dunno why i didn't think about doing that before  ::) ).

though i need to determine if dropping the djport2 option in general is the better idea so that there's just djport to do things as needed (making it equivalent of portbase in sc_serv).

Your username/password for the live encoder should be that of one of the DJ accounts you created in Centova Cast.  Make sure you set the priority for the DJ account so that it's higher than the autoDJ, otherwise it won't switch over automatically.  (I don't know for sure -- it's not documented by Nullsoft -- but I assume the priority for non-DJ logins like the autoDJ is 1, so you would want your DJs to have a priority greater than 1.)
you mean like the documentation about it at http://wiki.winamp.com/wiki/SHOUTcast_Calendar_Event_XML_File_Specification#Event_Priorities ? the main playlist has priority 0 so any DJ / events will always override it.

Yup, my understanding (bearing in mind that I'm not a Nullsoft staffer :) ) is that it allows connections from both v1 and v2 source clients.  So if you're using a source client that's designed for ShoutCast v1 you connect to 'djport'... if you're using one that's designed for ShoutCast v2 you connect to 'djport2'.
correct, though as per the start of my reply, i'll change things so that unless needed, just setting djport will do all that is needed to allow v1 and v2 DJ connections on the same port value entered into the client software.

I assume a client could in fact stream mp3 and aac+ format, and even multiple bit rates for each
Yes, ShoutCast v2 supports multiple mount points now, just like IceCast has done for years, so they can use any combination of codecs supported by the ShoutCast (or IceCast) server.
correct and i've often done that with the Source DSP or sc_trans to create different bitrate instances of the same stream. the main thing in that case is you then need to use tools supporting the v2 protocol so they can connect on stream ids higher than #1 (as all v1 sources can only connect on #1).

back several years ago the only way was to set up a encoder, not many stream hosts provided this service, I guess now these are kinda built into v2.
No, you still need an encoder for each mount point.  Mount points just let a single server instance serve multiple, independent streams... they don't provide any functionality beyond that.  So you could create mount points called /rock and /pop, and put a totally different audio stream on each.  Or you could create, say, /low and /high and put a low-bandwidth version of your stream on one, and high-bandwidth on the other.  But regardless of how you set it up, each mount point still needs its own encoder.
Steve is spot on, each stream needs its own source even though if using transcoders, etc it is possible to generate the same stream in different formats / bitrates, each configured stream still needs to have its own source input. So for example you can have an autodj on stream #1 and an alternative audio on stream #2 from a different source and a low bitrate copy of the autodj on stream #3, etc. the key thing is anything doing a direct stream input for streams above #1 has to be using a v2 compatible source (this is not an issue with doing multiple relays in a v2 dnas).

-daz
Thanks for all the information guys!  I am using a older Sam Broadcaster and my Win Amp keeps crashing  just as it seems to want to connect, any1 know of any other software that works with SHOUTcast v2
My Auto DJ
Orlando, FL USA
I have problem with connecting to any of the djports.

I have tried different combinations like dsp v1 on djport, dsp2 on djport2, dsp2 with legacy mode on djport.

I know that djport is for v1 and djport2 for v2

when i'm connecting on djport2 with DSP2 without legacy mode I'm getting error about cipher response (wchich should appear for connecting to djport not djport2)

djport2 -> DSP 2(legacy mode) DSP stops on " Receiving Authorisation Response", in sc_trnas logs i have:

2012-08-17 21:53:17   E   msg:[DJPROTOCOLUVOX] Socket error 104
2012-08-17 21:54:00   E   msg:[DJPROTOCOLUVOX] Timeout while waiting to receive packet

djport -> DSP 2(legacy mode)  DSP stops on " Receiving Authorisation Response" and after is disconnecting, in sc_trnas logs i have:

E   msg:[DJPROTOCOLUVOX] Timeout while waiting to receive packet

djport2 ->DSP 1-  DSP stops on " Receiving Authorisation Response", there is nothing in logs

Any one have any idea what is going about ??

DJ is added in centova cast and added manually in sc_trans config file because Centova don't add it automaticly :P

welcome to the wonderful world of beta software. unless something has badly gone wrong with the panel's config, all of what you are seeing is coming from issues with the Source DSP as well as sc_trans in certain situations which can cause it to fail at that connection stage in v2 mode but it shouldn't be generally failing in v1 mode.

with the DSP in v2 mode, use the djport2. in v1 mode use djport. trying to do the opposite will cause issues.

unfortunately, most of the issues tend to lay in sc_trans and i don't have a new public build coming for that any time soon. i _may_ contact you directly with a test build of sc_trans to try out once i've got the time to sort one out (but i'm trying to finish off DNAS and DSP releases at the moment so the Transcoder is somewhat down the bottom of my list).

i will note that before having to halt work on the Transcoder, i had made some changes with how djport and djport2 are handled so that you basically only have to specify djport to have everything setup correctly for a v1 or v2 DJ source to connect just by entering the djport value for either source (as i understand why djport and djport2 were done but it confuses and also causes too many people problems).

-daz
Thanks for all the information guys!  I am using a older Sam Broadcaster and my Win Amp keeps crashing  just as it seems to want to connect, any1 know of any other software that works with SHOUTcast v2

Not anything meant, but why not just upgrade your Sam?  Im currently using Sam v4.9.4 which has encoder setup for both v1 and v2 of shoutcast.  If would probably make things alot easier for you to just upgrade it.. All in all anyways... also the newer version of sam has newer php files and uses mysqli.. So if you did use those and what not, you would need to make sure your server has mysqli on it.  -_-
CrossFire-Hosting LLC.
Co-Owner
Not anything meant, but why not just upgrade your Sam?

Not anything meant, but there is no way I am paying $300 for something I can get for free :) especially while Obama is in office !
Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:20:36 am by My Auto DJ
My Auto DJ
Orlando, FL USA

If the issue is in sc_trans2 (as DrO suggested it may be above), you'll probably have similar issues no matter what live source software you're using if you're connecting in v2 mode.

Did you try connecting with the Winamp DSP in v1 mode?  That should work, as DrO also noted above.  You could also fall back to the oldschool method of stopping sc_trans2 when you want to broadcast live, then sourcing DNAS2 directly instead of using sc_trans2 as a "proxy"... if the problem is with sc_trans2, that'd eliminate it from the equation.

I am receiving a live encoder response "invalid password" whe try to connect to some that ports:

;;;; DJ SUPPORT:
; dj listen port
djport=8012
djport2=8014
djlogin_0=dj
djpassword_0=101010
djpriority_0=1

what is the problem?
_0 as a settings index is not supported by the Transcoder and hasn't for over a year. it needs to start at _1 - that would be the most likely reason why you're getting an invalid password since sc_trans re-maps _0 to _1 on loading and that can mean you're entering the wrong password for the connection (hence the invalid password message).

-daz
djlogin_1=dj
djpassword_1=101010
djpriority_1=1

But still with the same issue... any other idea?

I hava restarted the auto dj and I am connecting using sam cast usin shoutcast v1 with port 8012 and password like dj:101010.
people seem to have issues with the spacial tools when it comes to connecting on the sc_trans dj ports. i cannot remember at the moment what versions do work though if you've trying to do it in v1 mode then it should be working with them (was mainly when trying to do it in v2 mode from the spacial tools that things don't work correctly). otherwise it could be a bug with sc_trans itself (though i cannot really say without trying to check things as sc_trans is low on my todo list for the time being - as i'm the person currently responsible for it's development). have logged this thread as something to come back to when i've got the time to work on sc_trans.

-daz
_0 as a settings index is not supported by the Transcoder and hasn't for over a year. it needs to start at _1
This particular part of the problem was a bug in Centova Cast -- fixed for the next build.